Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hammonds 2 Deer 0

Last weekend rifle hunting commenced. I have done black powder every year in the past and wanted to switch it up this year so decided to take on the rifle! Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights Clay and I went out with Luke and Mark to a piece of land that Clay has a lease on for hunting. Nothing...but on Wednesday I went with Clay and Luke and sat in a different spot on the same piece of land and ended my 2011 hunt! Here is how it went...Clay and I were sitting behind a hay-bale blind and Clay was my spotter. So far there was just a doe and her two fawn in our view. All of the sudden Clay nudges me "get up-there is a buck!" I slowly got up on my knees and get my gun all ready - I was shaking! The buck was about 150 yards away, and I could hear Clay whispering over and over "take the shot, take the shot!" Finally I shot...they ran off. Clay says to me "I think you missed." DANG! Luke walks up over the hill at that point since he heard the shot and I am pretty bummed out. Clay tells us to go walk over the hill and see if we see anything while he is going to walk down to where those deer were at just to check it out. A few minutes later we hear Clay calling us - BLOOD! Yes! I did hit him! We start following the blood trail but it soon ends..we can still see the path across the field that leads over the side and down into the canyon. At this point we are thinking that we might lose this one. We walk the side of the canyon for only about 2 minutes and Clay is ready to give up. I turn my head back up towards the field and not 20 feet away the deer lifts his head - he is laying down beside a tree. WAHOOOOO!! I got him! WHOOP WHOOP! And Clay thought I missed! Now we are wondering how we are going to get him out of there since it is off a winter wheat field and the truck is about 1/2 mile away! You won't believe this but neither Luke nor Clay had a knife with them! We called Mark to bring out a wheelbarrow and we walked back to the truck to get the knife. Mark, Clay, Luke and I walked back out and since no one had a flashlight we were gutting this deer by the light of two cell phones! It was ridiculous and now looking back somewhat funny! I am going to be way more prepared next year with a knife and a flashlight! No more thinking the guys got me covered! It wasn't much fun but we pushed and pulled that deer 1/2 mile through the field in that wheelbarrow back to the truck. I really didn't help much and I was still pooped! Check him out - my lil 4x4! Not bad for my first buck if I do say so myself!

My first BUCK!

My Helpers! Couldn't have done it without you guys!

Check out his twisted horn on the left side!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!